The Power of You - 13 April, 2020

THE POWER OF YOU


by: Dr. Elaine Loo

Every member in our society is valuable and necessary for our society’s progress, just like every part of the body plays an important function. We tend to think certain parts of the body being not as important – but actually we need every part equally. It’s only when each part of the body is respected and treated with care that the whole body remains healthy and can grow well.

I had a friend who had the appendix removed due to an infection.

“It does not have an important function. It’s ok.”  he said.

For the past few decades, conventional medicine believed the appendix was an unimportant organ and served very little function. Emerging evidence is painting a strikingly different picture. It turns out that the appendix play a vital function in the development of the immune system,” said my friend who is a doctor.

Similarly in our society, each and every member is an essential part to the health of the whole nation, whole world, including, you, you, you, you, you……and me.

Crystal Toastmasters regular meeting on 13 April, 2020. It was led by TME Aida Ang

"Every individual matters. Every individual has a role to play. Every individual makes a difference."
Jane Goodall

The best future for every nation is one where each and every person, from every different group, grows up understanding one’s values have a positive self-image, instead of thinking that one is not capable. If only we can help our generation and generation to come to value themselves and reach their full potential, our community, and nation, as a whole will struggle with issues of inequality, war,  and inhumanity to name a few.

The biggest resource that Earth has is its people. We can accomplish much more when we value and utilize everyone’s unique strengths and talents. I remember when I first started my educational center, I was pretty contented with one center to nurture students within that radius. However, my coach questioned me, “How much value can you deliver? Another way of stating this is, how many people do you actually serve or affect?”

Best Assignment Speaker for 13 April meeting was Ogy Ong

Why did I choose to think SMALL the last time? My coach commented that it was because of fear. I was scared of failure. I thought small because I felt small. I felt I was not worthy enough. I did not feel good enough or important enough to make a real difference in people’s lives. Look how amazing Toastmasters Club is! Worldwide membership exceeds 345,000 in more than 16,600 clubs in 143 countries.

My coach is absolutely right. My life is not just about me. It’s also about others. It’s about living true to a mission and the reason for being here on this earth at this time. Most of the people are so stuck in their egos that everything revolves around me, me, and more me. But if you want to make a difference in the truest sense of the world, it can’t be only you. It has to include adding value to other people’s lives. Buckminster Fuller, said, “The purpose of our lives is to add value to the people of this generation and those that follow.

The Best Evaluator of the night (13 April, 2020) - Eric

Each of us is born with natural talents, things we are just naturally good at. These gifts were given to you for a reason: to use and to share with others. Research shows that the happiest people are those who use their natural talents to the utmost. Part of life’s mission then must be to share the gifts and values with as many people as possible. That means be willing to think BIG and play BIG. According to the club mission of Toastmaster International – “We provide a supportive and positive learning experience in which members are empowered to develop communication and leadership skills, resulting in greater self-confidence and personal growth”

I know of nothing more inspiring than that of making discoveries for oneself. - George Washington Carver
Everyone has his or her purpose. How will we know when we have completed our mission? If you are still breathing, you are not done. I personally love what Marianne Williamson expresses,

“Playing small does not serve the world. We are meant to shine. It is not just in some of us, it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence, will help to liberate others.”

The world does not need more people playing small. It’s time to stop hiding or suppress our potential. Thank you Aida Ang, the Toastmaster of the Evening on 20th April 2020 for having this theme ‘The Power of You’ to spark the inner flame of members during meeting. It’s time to stop needing and start leading, it’s time to start sharing the gifts in us instead of hoarding them. You have the power!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stand Out. Shine. Be Colourful

Crystallizing A Dream